In July of 1982, our first resident pastor arrived in Cincinnati to start a new congregation on the east side of the city. In October of 1982, our first Wednesday evening Bible class was held. On February 20, 1983, we began weekly worship services at the Kindercare on Loveland-Madeira Road. By the end of 1983, membership consisted of 12 communicants and 18 souls.
In 1986, we purchased land for a church building. On the same Sunday in 1987 we dedicated our newly acquired parsonage and broke ground for our church building. In June of 1988, the first service was held in the new church.
Pastor Nathan Cordes joined us in the winter of 1993. During his stay the church started many outreach activities and continue to grow.
Pastor Michael Otterstatter joined us in the winter of 2001. Pastor Otterstatter was instrumental in helping us complete our first expansion project, which included a large entryway, two offices, a new kitchen, and a beautiful worship space that seats 150.
Pastor Nicholas Guillaume, our current pastor, joined us in the summer of 2007. He served at a high school in Watertown, WI, before coming to our church.
Over 250 people have been members at Abiding Word through the years. Abiding Word has grown to 104 communicants and 139 souls, and with God's blessing and help we look for greater growth in the future.
Abiding Word is a member of the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod (WELS). The WELS started in 1850 by many churches in the Milwaukee area. Most of the pastors who served at that time came from Germany, and the Synod itself has retained a strong German influence. In 1917, the Wisconsin Synod joined with a number of other church bodies, including the Michigan Synod, the Nebraska Synod, and the Minnesota Synod, to form the current church body. The WELS operates in all 50 states, and in 24 countries around the world. Current membership is about 390,000.
For more information about our church, call 677-9357, or contact us.