Blog

Abiding Word Lutheran Church is affiliated with the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod (WELS).

The WELS has roots going back to the 19th century, and has become a confessional Lutheran church today. It began in 1850 when three German pastors met in Milwaukee and joined together for mutual encouragement and support.

Historically, the WELS has put a strong emphasis on education and mission work. We operate across the United States and support mission fields in 24 countries on five continents. The Synod also operates one of the largest parochial school systems in the country, including four ministerial education schools:

The WELS maintains its own publishing house, Northwestern Publishing House (NPH) in Milwaukee, WI, and publishes a monthly magazine, Forward in Christ, providing news and updates from around the Synod as well as helpful insights and information about challenges and opportunities that Christians have today.

Current membership in the Wisconsin Synod is about 390,000. It is the third largest Lutheran church body in America, with national offices in Waukesha, Wisconsin (a part of greater Milwaukee). Click here to learn more about the Wisconsin Synod.